The State of the Blog and Other Things

So I've been suffering something akin to writers block recently. I've been starting posts and getting about halfway through, then losing the will to write anything more after looking over my work. I'm starting to think I haven't been writing in the way that I like to write, and that I've been trying to become too 'professional' or something. Having applied for a few writing jobs over the summer, I've been trying to spruce up my standard of writing, and that's obviously been bleeding over into the blog, and for the blog that's just not working. Shit sucks.

And that's why I decided to write this post, and to write about the way that things have been going. The blog seems to have been having a good time since I've been gone. It recently passed two thousand views overall, which whilst being a large number, isn't that impressive considering that it's been running for over two years now. But hey, I'm an unknown who writes for fun; I could be doing a lot worse. I like to think I'm not the type of blogger that's all about himself; I hope that what I write is entertaining and fun for other people to read. I certainly write for other people, and many posts have come from wanting to increase the reader's satisfaction.

And hell, the readers really do seem to exist. The My Craft post is close to passing five-hundred and fifty views, and whilst it is by far the most viewed post, and by a margin that makes it the exception rather than the rule - second place, Crack, And Why I Love It So, has only sixty-four views - it still makes me happy that I've been able to rack up that many viewers.

And Germans at that.

I have no idea why there are so many Germans viewing this blog, but they do seem to visit an awful lot. Perhaps they're able to pick up on my German heritage (passed down from my recently deceased Opa), but that seems like a long shot. Perhaps cruising Blogger for random blogs is a national pastime in Germany. This is the country that loves David Hasselhoff, after all. Whatever it is, the Germans have surpassed British residents as the number one country reading my blog. And that's a strange thought.

Perhaps the view sources behind the Minecraft article hold the answer. According to the stats page, the majority of views on that post come from Google Images (this picture in particular). From this, I can safely say that posting images is the best idea when fishing for readers. Large amounts of my views (I hesitate to say readership) comes from Google Images, and that's great. I certainly aim to post more pictures in the future. Free advertising via Google Images is fantastic!

With that said, I certainly don't want to make it thought that I'm simply going for views. Views are mainly the means to an end; that final goal will be to have an active and avid readership. Views means next to nothing - they show me how many times my page has been viewed. I'm simply trying to extrapolate if I have a readership from the numbers. And I think I do. They might be small and comprised mostly of my Facebook friends (and Germans), but I am no less thankful for them. All I'm trying to do is to entertain them, and I hope I've been able to do that.

Because if I think I have a readership, then my writing will only continue. I will want to entertain those readers and continue to do so. That's certainly my goal with this blog and I hope I'm inching ever closer to that. I sincerely thank everyone who views this blog.

A return to the posts about games soon, I promise.

Labels: , , ,