Blog Wonderings, More Lent Stuff, And What I Plan To Do Afterwards

After looking through my blog stats, it seems that my most popular blog post has been the 'My Craft' post about Minecraft. With almost three-hundred views, it soars above the rest of my posts, the closest being twenty-eight. Not twenty-eight views difference, just twenty-eight views. That's pretty damn impressive. And it makes me wonder what I did in that post that makes it so different to the rest of them. Was I simply pandering to a more popular game at the time? Or was it the easily found nature of the post itself? I assume a lot of people Google 'Minecraft', and quite a few of my hits come from Google (slightly in front of Twitter and Facebook), so it seems that more searched games equals more hits. 'What a surprise', you might sarcastically comment. Well, it sort of is. I thought I already was talking about popular games, but there seems to be a difference between 'popular' and 'most searched'. Minecraft is obviously well-searched for as it lacks a tutorial, and has taken the internet by storm recently. It also seems a lot of hits came from the images used in the posts. Still, despite the slightly obvious nature, it gave me some food for thought about future content, especially about what my readers want. What do you want to see in these posts? Does it even bother you? You might just read this for shits-and-giggles for all I know. I dunno why you read it, but as my readers I see you as important. So what would you like to see more of?

Away from that, Lent is going as you'd expect it to, with a few exceptions. I suffered a family bereavement recently, and that almost caused me to fall off of the wagon, so to speak, but I've managed to keep my willpower thus far. That said, the funeral is not out of the way yet, and I'm presuming that will be the most stressful time. With the addition of an application on my phone that allows me to play text-based MUDs anywhere with a phone signal... I can see that it'll be difficult, even though I'm sure that no-one will hold it against me if I really need to escape that much. I don't think I'm that much of a slave to games though, or at least I hope not. I guess I'll have to ask Master Warcraft about that later, after my daily flogging.

So, I briefly mentioned some form of game lottery in my last blog post and I'm sure you've all been chomping at the bit in anticipation for more news. Or you've forgotten all about it. Either way, I still don't have full details. This is partly down to the aforementioned bereavement and my own personal laziness, but I do have some more details to share:

I. The games will be selected from my current PC collection. No games from consoles will be considered, as it's just far too much hassle to cart them around with me. At least the majority of my PC games are on Steam, or already with me.

II. All applicable games be entered into a hat and chosen at random at the start of whatever slot. I might change this and set out a schedule before I start, simply for ease and a grim acceptance of the trash to come - I own The Matrix: Path of Neo; I really, really hope that doesn't come up.

III. No MMOs of any kind. Pretty obvious why not, really. I don't want to needlessly spend money on subscriptions. So Champions Online, Lord of the Rings Online, World of Warcraft etc., shall not be entered. Even if I already have an active subscription (as in WoW's case) I simply cannot be bothered to make an exception. Even free-to-play MMos like LotRO won't be entered, due to the relentless patching and sheer bollocks that come with it.

IV. Once the game has been chosen I play that game, and only that game, for the time period (more on that later). Should the game need to be downloaded, and cannot be downloaded within a decent amount of time (or restrictions on bandwith), it shall be passed over to the next free slot and another game be drawn.

The time period issue has been giving me a bit of a headache recently; I cannot decide which amount of time would be best. My collection of PC games is extensive - one hundred and thirty-nine games on Steam alone. I generally buy things if they're on offer and sometimes never play them. Playing through my entire collection of games, even if it's a game a day, will take the better part of a year. Doing it weekly will result in several years worth of gameplay from those games alone. And that's without buying any new games. And that would also make me more than slightly misanthropic. My main options at the moment are: daily; three days at a time; and weekly. Daily, whilst giving me a much larger range of games to play, doesn't offer me very much scope to play the game, and very little time to do other stuff such as university work. Weekly, however, gives me time to play the game, do other stuff, and crucially, gives me time to get bored of it. One of the major points of this exercise (apart from to actually play some damn games) is to test myself, and to see how long I can play one game without going completely mad or actually getting addicted. At the moment, weekly seems like the best idea. Three days seems like a more extended version of the problems with the daily schedule, and probably won't be chosen. Not to mention, during a weekly schedule, I can have Sundays off to relax and write up my post on the game, even if I don't update throughout the week. Expect tears and insanity from this.

These rules are somewhat flexible, at least until I start the lottery, and are likely to be changed. For instance, I may allow myself to play certain MMOs like Achaea or Wurm. Mainly because getting past a weeks play in either game will be hell. I'm beginning to think that I'm slightly masochistic, or that I actually hate myself. And at the moment, it seems like the littery won't be a running a running thing. I'll likely do a week of it whenever I have the time, due to university demands, girlfriends, social life... all those meddling things that interfere with playing games whenever possible.

I will be writing a post about the games I'd most like to play and those I really wouldn't, and the reasons why, soon. And I promise it'll be a lot more fun to read than this post has been. Hell, Lent hasn't given me much to write about, except the odd craving for an unexpected game. Actually writing about games again from a retrospectice viewpoint should be fun.

And that's How, for now!

Labels: , , ,